Utrecht is truly at the heart of the Netherlands – not only geographically, but in terms of cultural life, restaurants, shopping and nature too. In September 2013, CNN Travel declared
“Utrecht is the new Amsterdam”
Utrecht – International appeal
Utrecht has 322.000 residents from over 163 nationalities, lending the fourth largest city of the Netherlands a very international flavour indeed. Come discover Utrecht !
Utrecht Visitor Highlights
There is literally so much to do, see, taste and shop in Utrecht but here we’ve rounded up our Top 5 not-to-be-missed Utrecht tourist highlights.
- Climbing to the top of Utrecht’s Dom Tower – the ultimate Utrecht city symbol! The 600-year-old Dom Tower is the tallest medieval tower in the Netherlands. After all, it’s only 465 steps to the top!
- A visit to the Dick Bruna House. Miffy (ot Nijntje in Dutch) is a beloved figure around the world and this exhibition is sure to delight both the yound, and the young at heart.
- Exploring the Dutch National Railway Museum. This is our absolute favourite museum in the Netherlands and has won numerous awards. Not only are there some great retired trains to clamber into (like the train used by the Dutch royal family a few decades ago), but also there are some fantastic train-related amusement attractions and performances. The Dutch Railway Museum (Spoorwegmuseum) is very much alive and offers great value for money! And to really get the full experience, you can take a train from Utrecht station straight to Maliebaanstation (where the museum is situated)
- Taking a city boat trip on Utrecht’s picturesque canals is not to be missed.
- A tour of Castle de Haar – the Netherlands’ largest and most fairytale medieval castle is sute to conjur up the romantic in anyone.
So, what are you waiting for? Come and discover Utrecht asap!